Enrolment for the 2024 Intake is Now Open.
The Bachelor of Science Honours (BSc Hons) degree in Chemical Science is a four-year, full-time programme designed as per the Sri Lanka Quality Framework (SLQF) Level 6, to provide a comprehensive education in chemistry to all our undergraduates. The main objectives of this degree programme are, (1) to bring economic benefits and sustainable development to the country through manufacturing and value addition; and (2) to contribute to research in chemical science globally.
In the first two years, students will be offered fundamental and intermediate course units in the areas of organic, physical, inorganic, analytical, and biochemistry. Even though the essence of the programme is Chemistry, selected topics in subjects such as Mathematics and Biology are taught to assist undergraduates to cope with more advanced course units offered at upper levels. Moreover, during the first two years, students will receive a solid foundation in subjects, such as Physics, Electronics, and Statistics, which will indeed lead our undergraduates to receive broad-based education strengthening the quality and relevance of the degree.
In the third and fourth years, advanced concepts in Chemistry, as well as several Management course units, will be offered. While following such compulsory course units, students have the opportunity to select course units from among many industry-related optional topics as well. The optional course units are customized to impart relevant knowledge that will aid a chemist to thrive in an industrial setting.
The BSc Hons programme includes a strong laboratory component designed to provide substantial hands-on experience in all areas of Chemistry during the first three years of the degree. Besides, in the final year, students must conduct a research project of 6 credits, granting them the option to choose between an academic or industrial project. We hope to lay the foundation for our undergraduates to be exposed to research methodologies and to gain an understanding of research techniques, which will assist them to improve their rational thinking and proficiency as chemists.
The programme is designed to include a subsidiary management component totaling to 26 credits. Chemical science and management is a unique combination that would support students to develop into competent individuals in the competitive job market. The Institute of Chemistry Ceylon is the only education fraternity offering this subject combination in South Asia. We are focused on producing chemists equipped with sharp managerial skills together with a strong background in Chemistry.
*Apply Now with Pending Results !*
The following entry criteria have to be satisfied to enroll in the BSc Hons Programme,1. Three passes in science subjects in one sitting, with Chemistry as a subject, at the
- GCE Advanced level examination OR
- GCE Advanced level examination by Pearson Edexel, UK (London A/L) OR
- International Advanced Level by Pearson Edexel, UK OR
- GSE Advanced Level Examination by Cambridge International Examinations, UK;
The BSc Hons degree in Chemical Science is accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education of Sri Lanka under Gazette No. 2166/14, in the Universities Act, No. 16 of 1978, under the order of Section 25A.
The successful completion of the BSc examination is considered as fulfillment for admission as an Associate Member of the Institute of Chemistry Ceylon.
Directing the course of academic and industrial endeavors in Chemical Sciences, the BSc Hons programme aims to provide career and advanced research opportunities in highly demanding disciplines in chemical science. The BSc degree is designed to assist students who aspire to pursue,
- Postgraduate studies and academic opportunities either nationally or internationally;
- Chemistry-related employment opportunities in the state sector;
- Opportunities in the chemical industry;
- Administrative opportunities in the corporate sector;
- Teaching careers in either private or government-based educational institutions.
Prospective students enrolling for the BSc Hons degree at the Institute will be benefited from the unique highlights that the programme has to offer.
- The only BSc (Hons) degree in Chemical Science offered by a non-state educational Institution in Sri Lanka.
- Designed to include a unique combination of subject matter constituting courses related to Chemistry (major subject) and Management (minor subject).
- Opens up a variety of industrial- and academic-based career opportunities.
- Reasonable price schemes when considering the monetary allocation for chemicals and consumables.
BSc Hons programme is offered for school leavers displaying a genuine interest in chemistry and related sciences. University undergraduate students who follow different disciplines or general degrees (SLQF Level 5) with Chemistry as a subject have the opportunity to follow this programme to enrich their knowledge while gaining an in-depth understanding of concepts using their strong chemistry background.
For registration, prospective candidates can follow the procedure given below.
1) Make an online transfer of the payment to the BOC (Torrington Square Branch) Account No: 2323118
If you are willing to make the payment physically, visit the nearest BOC branch and make the transfer to the account number mentioned above.
2) The following documents should be submitted upon registration.
- PDF of the electronic receipt/scanned copy of the bank transfer slip
- The completed application form
- PDF of the A/L results (from the website of the Department of Examinations)
- Scanned copy of the birth certificate
- Scanned copy of the NIC
- 2×2 photo (not mandatory for now)
Downloading options bank slips, and payment details are given below.
- BOC payment slip
- CCS Handbook
- Prospectus 2023
- CCS Enrollment Scholarships
- CCS Sports Scholarships
- Universities Act, No. 16 OF 1978
Important: Please retain the original bank slip as they will be collected at the start of enrollment.